Monday, November 2, 2009

Doggie Style Halloween

This may come as a shock to people who know me well:  I don't dress up my dogs.  It's true, I don't.  When I first got them, everyone thought I would be dressing them in little shirts and sweaters but I shocked everyone when I didn't.

Okay.  Sometimes I do.  Firstly, my friend gave us these super cute little coats.  They happen to have pink in them.  Pink for me.  Yes, my dogs are boys but who cares?  Plus, Mr. Mop really likes his.  It's a little coat that makes him look like Shermop Bones.  Super cute.  He wears it when it rains.

And that's it.  They wear their coats when it rains.

Or when Halloween rolls around.

The Engineer said I couldn't buy costumes for them as I had some from last year (stupid rule if you ask me but times are tough).  So Mr. Mop once again donned his ladybug costume.  Again, he likes it.

Well, he doesn't hate it.

Brooklyn hates his pumpkin costume.  Perhaps because it's small now - I bought it when he was only 7 months.  It looks like I stuffed him into some sausage casing and he barely moves when I put it on.  It's pretty funny.  I suppose people will think it's cruel that I dress him up simply to laugh at him.  Trust me, he gets many treats for it.  hmmmm, maybe that's the real reason the pumpkin is a bit snug.

Dog Halloween costumes are ADORABLE.  But there really is no point to me dressing them up.  Seeing as Mr. Mop hates children, I can't exactly prance him around in his ladybug outfit because kids will really want to pet him.  Other dogs dressed up scare Brooklyn.  We met a French Bulldog on our walk in full pirate regalia.  Brooklyn hid.

He was also frightened of a blowing leaf.

The Engineer and I went as Buddy Holly and a poodle girl.  Unfortunately for the Engineer the Buddy Holly look is in so no one realized he was in costume.  He also resembled my dad from 1968.

The night before Halloween, I found a poodle skirt costume for dogs.  It took ALL my strength NOT to buy it for Mop.  And my friend T reminding me my dogs are boys.  So what?  Look how cute it is!


I would literally be matching my dog!  EEEEEEEEEEEE!  I have the same shirt and everything!  I actually just discovered this matching thing.  I won't lie.  It excites me.  I am going to save my poodle skirt so that in a few years I can get the boys some Greaser leather jackets.





the Engineer in a more obvious 50's costume, and perhaps if we have a kid it can be a poodle!  That's right, I thought about that.  When I told this to the Engineer he walked away and had a glass of whiskey.  Weirdo.

But this whole matching your dog thing can be carried a bit far (well, you are already in the deep end if you are even considering this idea) as I discovered in searching for costumes.  You know how I have a thing against those 'sexy' costumes of beloved childhood characters like Alice in Wonderland or Dorothy?  Well, what worse than a whored up version of Raggedy Anne?  A matching dog costume!!!  GAH!





I am sorry, but if you think wearing a sexy costume with your dog is okay you might have some serious inappropriate-ness issues.

What if you are going as a naughty schoolgirl?  No worries!


I am sorry.  This is all sorts of wrong.  WRONG!

Anyways, I am learning that Halloween doesn't work so well with my dogs.  Too many hyper kids with candy who either want to pet my mean puppy or who are holding lollipops that Mr. Mop will grab (happened).  Too many people wearing odd hats that make Brooklyn cry and cower.  And too many pumpkins that the boys think are pee targets.  Nothing says 'Happy Halloween' like my dog lifting his leg onto your nicely carved Jack-O-Lantern.

No comments: