Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Dog Park Moviestar

It turns out Kristen Kreuk is my neighbour.

You don't know who she is? She's on that show 'Smallville'.  I haven't ever watched it but I definitely know who she is.  She was discovered in her teens and shot high into CW fame.

I saw her a few months back at the local nail salon.  We bonded by laughing at a set of parents discussing their toddler's bowel movements.  At first I pretended I didn't know who she was. But when someone asked, I blurted:  "she's a moviestar!".  Which made her blush.

Anyways, she walks her bulldog Dublin at the same dog park as my boys.  This time I did not blurt out that she was a moviestar.  I also tried my best not to stare at her.

Which is hard because she is (A) famous (B) the prettiest person I have ever seen in real life and (C) she was talking to me.

I felt bad not saying something about knowing who she was because I don't want to seem like one of those people who is too cool to be star struck.  Will she be offended I don't recognize her?

Ummm, no.  Hopefully she remembers our first encounter when I embarrassed her.  And also, she clearly is not one of those 'Hello?  I am like a star and you should worship me' sort of peoples.  She is seriously so nice.  So nice.  And very sweet.  And sort of goofy.  You can always tell how nice a person is by how they are with their dog.  She's pretty funny.

Although I was awkward, and trying to not look her in the face in case I yelled that she was on television, and talking about dog poop, I was really happy to bump into her.  Sometimes in this business I forget why I am in it.  For the most part, the people are not the nicest.  Most are superficial.  Most are so deep in the low self-esteem pool, they make up for it by acting like assholes.  I'm not really cut out for the business of show business.  So it was refreshing to meet someone who is actually successful (not that fake kind that Vancouver actors pull), and crazily modest and sweet.

It was also nice to meet someone who also has to constantly stop her dog from eating mud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ummm "picky theatre gal"? Oh reaaallllyyy!?