Over the years of being a bridesmaid and being friends with other habitual bridesmaids, I have heard horror tales of weddings that are doomed. Therefore, I have compiled a list for my loyal reader of signs that you should not have a wedding (elopement yes, wedding no). If you are suffering from any of these signs, I encourage you to sell your wedding dress for two plane tickets to Las Vegas pronto.
Signs you should not have a wedding:
1. The stress of your wedding gives you IBS
2. The financial stress of the wedding puts your father on anxiety medication/panic attack medication/heart medication. Any medication really.
3. Just mentioning your groom-to-be's name causes you to burst into hives (reconsidering your relationship is a strong possibility)
4. The husband-to-be is a drug dealer (ummm, cancel marriage in general here)
5. Your parents plan on selling their generations old land in Europe on which cork trees grow in order to pay for your wedding.
6. Your parents plan on selling their home and moving into a one-bedroom condo in order to pay for your wedding
7. You are going into debt on top of the $25K student loan, car payment, and mortgage you already owe to pay for your wedding
8. All parents are divorced, some are remarried, all hate each other and your fear that your mother will attack your dad's new wife with the cake knife causes nightmares and an ulcer - this is a pretty good indication that you should not have a wedding
9. The groom's father is dying from a terminal illness but your need to walk down the aisle in a white dress overrides your husband's need to have his father see him get married (perhaps it is time to re-evaluate your priorities)
10. Your two families hate each other Capulet/Montague style and there is a possibility of gang/mafia/Godfatheresque warfare at the reception (how did you even get this far?)