Saturday, May 2, 2009

An example of how life is NOT the movies



Yesterday I met my friend on the Upper West for tea at the lovely 'Alice's Tea Cup' which serves big pots of steaming tea along with fresh scones complete with cream and jam.  I'm just telling you because you should go if ever in New York.  Just like its name, the tea shop is whimsical.  Full of mismatched tea cups and cozy surroundings to shelter you from the spring rain.

After tea, I headed back down to Soho to see Nia Vardalos (My Big Fat Greek Wedding) and Donald Petrie (How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days) do a talk about their upcoming film, My Life in Ruins.  Unfortunately, the foreboding clouds decided to release their cargo on the streets of New York in the form of a torrential downpour.

I have to admit, it was sort of fun.   Coming up from the subway station, putting up my umbrella, and dashing around the puddles on a warm New York night.  I love walking through the village and Soho mostly because it is the New York you think it is going to be - cobble streets, yellow cabs, tiny restaurants and bars full of happy people sheltering the storm.

Even though I had my umbrella, I still got pretty wet.  But I felt like I was in a movie.  Walking the dark shiny streets, dodging cabs, being on a mission to find my friends in Sex and the City.  I imagined myself to be like Carrie or Charlotte or any movie star really, gleaming cheeks from the moisture, hair sexily stuck to my neck in curls, looking for a break in the clouds.  

I arrived early, got a front row seat, and promptly went to the bathroom to add some gloss and tousle my now curly and rain-sexy hair.  Then I looked in the mirror.  UGH.  I look like a drowned rat!!!!!  Not some uber-glamorous movie star in a Brad Pitt movie!  My hair was curly AND frizzy AND flat against my skull.  My mascara dripped on my cheeks that were NOT gleaming with moisture but red from exhaustion.  I was just about to see an actress I admire and a director who could maybe cast me one day, and I looked like a wilted/water-dredged homeless girl.

Thank goodness for emergency bobby-pins, SMASHBOX O-Glow blush, and a dab of lip gloss. I might not have looked like a movie-star but I was at least presentable.  And glad too, because I talked to Nia.  Like an idiot I am sure, and it will be cast on iTunes for the world to see, but at least I looked sort of normal.

Sheesh.  What else do movies lie about?

No comments: