Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Back to Two


I have always known that I was a bit of an idiot when I got two dogs.  I got them both at the same time, which is totally overwhelming and trust me, I got lots of criticism.  

I'm sort of used to it now, and I admit, it's lots of work.  One is a breeze compared to two. People will tell you that two is the same as one, but that's just not true.  There are pros and cons - and one of the biggest pros, I believe, is that my two dogs always have each other.

This past Easter weekend, Brooklyn got really sick.  I kept waiting for it to go away, but it didn't and we inevitably went to see the vet. I was so lucky I had a friend with me, because when the vet informed me that Brooklyn would need to stay in the 'hospital' for three days, I promptly burst into tears.

I went home with just his leash and settled into a routine with just one dog.  Mop handled the absence of Brooklyn really well.  In fact, I suspect that he was quite pleased that I came home without the runt that Mop likes to use as a chew toy.  

It surprised me how much I not only worried about my little man, but also how the house seemed emptier.  Quieter.  Well, that's obvious I guess.

For the past few days, Mop has been good as gold.  Quiet, well-behaved, I could even take him into stores!  Clearly, this dog who I always say is 'part-asshole' is maybe only a little jerk because of his little brother, not because of his breed.  

After the first night, Brooklyn's absence was horrible.  I think that even Mop was upset because he moped from room to room with his tail down.  Or maybe it was because he was feeling a bit of what Brooklyn has.  I had a lovely surprise on my kitchen floor.

Because I believed the former, I thought Mop would be pleased as punch to see my little guy.  Nope.  Mop took one look at the conehead Brooklyn and immediately hid under the bed in a temper.  Poor sweet Brooklyn was so happy to see Mop, and tried to play with him.  But all he got was a growl and a baring of teeth.  

Mop actually seemed afraid of Brooklyn.  I mean he usually doesn't hide under the bed for anything short of a thunder storm.  It must be the cone.  Or the fact that Brooklyn smells weird.

Anyways, the moral of the story is that I no longer feel like an idiot for getting two dogs.  They make my house a home now, and without eight little pitter patter paws near me, it just doesn't feel right.  We are a furry little family.  Even Mop came around to the arrival of Brooklyn.  He just finished giving him his nightly gay-lover bath.

The other moral?  Get pet insurance.

PS.  Conehead Brooklyn is all sorts of amusement.  He's already got himself stuck on the carpet, once into a corner and is currently bumping into objects in my office which in turn make him jump, and bump into something else.  FYI - my office has three pieces of furniture in it


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, I'm so sorry to hear that Brooklyn was sick. Glad he is okay! As you know "the vet" is one of the worst parts of having a pet because you can't tell them everything will be fine, they're just scared s%&tless and you can't comfort them!!! Poor Mr. Mop, he wanted you all to himself! :) I miss those boys! And you too! xoxo Liz