Wednesday, February 16, 2011

In the Spirit of Chocolate

After our evening of chocolate making, I was highly inspired to eat more chocolate.

As if one needs a reason.

Plus it just so happens to be the first annual hot chocolate festival in Vancouver.  Who knew such a thing existed?

A few days after the Cocoa Nymph experience, my mum and I trekked to Thomas Haas to grab an almond croissant and an Aztec hot chocolate.  And a couple of macrons.  AND a snowdrop.

God.  It was soooooooooooooooooo good.  And soooooooooooooooooooooo much.  Both in terms of filling and financially.  Two hot chocolates, three croissants, and two macrons = $32!!!!!

Whatever.  It was worth it.

Then, a few days later (and an extra workout at 30-Minute), I met with my friends, K and Dee - the latter had been my chocolate cohort from the beginning - at Mink for more hot chocolate goodness.

This was our sumptuous 'lunch' order:
- s'mores for two (with dark chocolate)
- fondue for two  (with milk chocolate)
- lavender hot chocolate

The 'meal' arrived at the table and we immediately dunked the amazing pound cake into the warm, hot and gooey milk chocolate.  A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

Then time for the s'mores.  Which arrive on the plate with a mini hibachi and a bunch of graham crackers & marshmallows.

Unfortunately we couldn't quite get the hang of melting them.

At first, K placed the graham cracker directly onto the little hibachi. Then added the marshmallow.  Nothing happened.

So I stuck on another graham cracker and pressed down with my fork.

Urm.   This is when the smoke started and our graham cracker was set on fire.  We called out for help but the line-up was too long to help three idiots trying to make indoor s'mores.

K used her fondue fork to wave the fire out. Note:  call K when in fire emergency.

Finally, Dee figured out that we were supposed to roast the marshmallow over the hibachi, dip it into chocolate, and then smoosh it between the graham crackers.

The result was delicious.

And messy.

Dee's baby got hold of melty marshmallow and smeared it into her mother's hair, on her clothes and pretty much anywhere marshmallow should not be. 
I jumped up to search through the baby-bag for the boogie wipes (a real thing - much like a wet wipe but for a nose) while K 'helped' out by grabbing my fondue fork.

Clearly, this girl's answer to life's emergencies is to don a fondue fork.

Anyhoo, the meal was delicious, if not eventful and messy.  Poor K had to go back to work with a chocolate dollop on her cream, ruffled blouse.

If anything, go just for the pound cake that goes with the fondue.  I am fairly certain it has some sort of sugar crack in it.

No comments: