Monday, February 16, 2009

Weekend Update

I am a huge fan of Saturday Night Live.  I haven't always been, in fact I didn't even watch it during the famous years of Will Farrell and Jimmy Falon.  Perhaps because it was that during those years I actually went out of my house on Saturday nights.

I didn't even watch it when Tina Fey did Weekend Update and that makes me sad.

I don't know how I got  into the show.  The Engineer made me, I think. The fact that we are over the blissful honeymoon stage of dating and much prefer greasy chinese and staying in Saturday night to actually going out.  Needless to say, I am now an avid viewer.  It helps that I tuned in to watch the best of female comedians at work - Kristen Wiig, Amy Poeler and Tina Fey. These ladies are goddesses in my eyes.  I worship them and want to work with them.  Unfortunately I am not funny.

This is not the point of this entry.  The point of this entry is to tell you the story of how I met Seth Meyers.  If you do not know who he is, you will not care about the day I met him.  But you should because he is very funny and very cute.  Seth is currently the man of the famous Weekend Update and the one man, besides the Engineer, who really gets my motor running.

Last Halloween, as the Engineer and I were heading home after a long night out, I got on the F Train and who was sitting across from me?  Seth Meyers.  I saw him first and became mute.  Except for when I said to the Engineer, "is that Seth Meyers?".  I was faced with a few dilemas.  One:  Was it rude to approach him and say hello? Two:  I was dressed as a devil.

No one wants to meet their celeb crush wearing a red dress and carrying a pitch fork.  Also, the Engineer told me that it was rude to talk to him.  And yet the Engineer suggested I take a picture.  Ummm?  Hello?  How is it not rude to take an unauthorized photo of someone on the subway?  Hello!  He can see me!  And yet it is  rude to talk to him?

We were approaching the 4th Ave stop, and Seth stood up to get off.  I couldn't let this opportunity pass.  I promptly took off my jacket, pushed up my boobs, and removed my devil mask.  Feeling like a complete idiot, I stepped across the aisle wherein Seth saw me and removed his earphones (that was nice), and I said, "I am so sorry to do this, but are you . . . ?" to which he smiled and said 'yes'.  And I told him, "You make my every Saturday night" which in turn made him smile a huge grin, say 'thank you' and bid me a happy halloween.  

I am the first to admit that I am a complete idiot when talking to people when I am excited - but I am fairly certain that what I said to Seth was super classy and nice.  Albeit on the F train.  The thing about celebs in NYC, is that they just are there.  They like it here because they don't get swarmed.  So as much as I revealed my touristy, small-town self, I think I did pretty good.  

Then I remembered I had a tail.  Super.

Since then I have seen many a SNL star, including Kristen Wiig.  I have no idea what to say to her.  I basically stood their like a slack-jawed idoit watching her and Wil Forte walk past me.  A huge part of me wanted to shout out:  Oh my god, Oh my god (like her Susan character) but held it in.  I suspect she would hate that.  I have seen her a few times, so one of these days, I will figure out something just as classy.  

I suspect if I saw Tina Fey I might poop my pants.  And then ask her to be my best friend.

I now feel a close connection to the show and Weekend Update, as if that little moment was a tiny bond between Seth and myself.  That we are all destined to meet again.  And then this makes me realize perhaps I am one of those crazy people who would, in fact, take a picture of someone sitting on a subway and then worship it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok, if you meet Tina Fey I want to be invited out too. Because I want to be her friend, too.

Now I want to watch 30 Rock.